Italian Fried Chicken Cutlets - thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts dredge in beaten eggs, two kinds of breadcrumbs and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Crispy fried chicken that's ready in minutes. This recipe is just one of my go-to chicken cutlet recipes. Let me show you how amazing dinner can be tonight when chicken is on the menu.
Italian Fried Chicken Cutlets are great as a main meal or you can use them as a topping for salad; which is how I love enjoying them during the summer. If you have leftovers, turn them into sandwiches, like my Chicken Cutlet Parmigiana Sandwich.
As with my other chicken cutlet recipes, you need to make sure you start out with thin chicken cutlets. So once you slice them in half, pound the chicken to about ¼ inch thickness.
Pounding the chicken thin helps to also tenderize the cutlets and helps them cook quickly and evenly. Which is the secret to getting dinner on the table fast!
For this recipe, I cook the chicken cutlets completely on top of the stove in a heavy duty skillet. That way they remain crispy.
This is slightly different from the original Italian Breaded Chicken Cutlets where I only brown them in the skillet on top of the stove and then bake them in the oven until cooked through.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Panko bread crumbs
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Eggs; beaten lightly
- Vegetable oil for frying
Cooking Tip: The secret to cooking chicken FAST is to use thin chicken breasts. Check out how I get thin chicken cutlets in the post, How to Make Thin Chicken Cutlets.
Step 1: How to Bread Chicken Cutlets for Frying
In a shallow bowl, add the beaten eggs and the minced garlic. In another shallow bowl, combine the Panko breadcrumbs, Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and the Parmesan cheese.
Next, dip the chicken cutlets one at a time in the eggs and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure both sides of the chicken are covered in breadcrumbs.
Step 2: Cooking Instructions
Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the chicken cutlets to the hot oil. Allow them to cook in the oil for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side until they are golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 165° F.
Step 3: Serving Tips
Remove the chicken from the frying pan and place on a platter or baking try lined with parchment paper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Step 4: What to Serve with Breaded Chicken Cutlets
If you're family wants more than just a salad, try a few of our favorites:
- My children love this easy recipe for Homemade Mac and Cheese as a side dish with chicken cutlets.
- Mashed potatoes with chicken cutlets is always delicious.
- Twice Baked Potatoes is another family favorite!
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
After you place the chicken cutlet in the frying pan, gently lift the cutlet and tilt the pan a little so the oil gets underneath the cutlet. Then place the cutlet back down. Try not to flip the chicken too often. Once the chicken is browned on both sides, turn the heat down to medium so they continue to cook without burning.
When frying chicken cutlets, you want to use a high-heat oil like vegetable oil or canola oil. Olive oil is not recommended for frying because it will create too much smoke while the chicken is cooking.
Ready for more great recipes?
- Chicken Parmesan – my easy recipe for Breaded Chicken Cutlets that are smothered in homemade marinara sauce topped with mozzarella cheese.
- Dipping Sauce for Chicken Cutlets - This is a copycat recipe for Chick Fil A Sauce that’s a really, really good accompaniment to any chicken recipe.
- Chicken Cutlets Parmesan Recipe - my family's favorite breaded chicken cutlets with an easy Parmesan sauce on top.
- 4 thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts; pounded thin
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 2 eggs; slightly beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
- Lay the boneless skinless chicken breast on a cutting board that’s been lined with waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Cover the chicken breasts with another sheet of parchment paper and using the smooth side of a mallet, gently pound the chicken until it is thin.
- In a shallow bowl, add the beaten eggs and the minced garlic.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the Panko bread crumbs, Italian seasoned bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Next, dip the chicken cutlets one at a time in the eggs and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure both sides of the chicken are covered in breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the chicken cutlets to the hot oil. Allow them to cook in the oil for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side until they are golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Check out how I get thin chicken cutlets in the post, How to Make Thin Chicken Cutlets.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 695Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 822mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 50g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.