Homemade Chicken Pot Pie is a comfort food for many people and it’s one of my daughter’s favorite recipes. This recipe is easy to make and can be made as a whole pie or individual mini pot pies.
Do you have a favorite comfort food recipe? For my daughter, Olivia, it would be homemade chicken pot pie. I started making my own recipe for chicken pot pie when Olivia was a baby. I would make the filling only and put it in a blender to make it safe for her to eat. SHE LOVED IT.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
I continued making this recipe for homemade chicken pot pie and Olivia continued to love it. When asked what was the one thing she loved about me for a preschool Mother’s Day program she said my chicken pot pie.
All the other kids were saying how nice or kind or pretty their mom is and Olivia said “My mom makes the best chicken pot pie.” I still make this recipe and my girl still loves it.
You can make this chicken pot pie as a large family-style pie or make individual pot pies…which is really how I like to do it.
You can even freeze the filling mixture if you’re only making a few individual pot pies. The mixture freezes well and has helped me get a quick dinner on the table time and time again when the kids were younger and involved in many after school activities.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup milk or half and half
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cooked chicken – see note below.
- One chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups mixed vegetables
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 recipe for a double pie crust
How to Make the Sauce
In a heavy sauce pan, melt the butter and then add the flour. Cook the flour in the butter until golden brown.
Stir the flour and butter together and continue cooking until they are completely combined. Congratulations, you just made a ROUX.
Stir in the half/half and then the chicken broth.
Continue cooking until you have a nice, thick, delicious cream sauce. Season your cream sauce by adding a chicken bouillon cube and salt and pepper.
How to Add the Chicken and Vegetables
Now, add your vegetables and shredded chicken and continue to cook until everything is combined and thickened.
How to Make Individual Chicken Pot Pies
Here’s where things get fun. You can choose to make one large chicken pot pie or you can make individual mini pot pies, which is how I’m showing you below:
- Roll out your pie crust.
- Place the mini pie pans on top of the crust and cut out 2 sets of discs…one of the bottom crust and one for the top crust.
- Fit the first set of pie dough discs into bottom of the pie pans.
- Add the chicken pot pie filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over each of the mini pot pies.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
One individual chicken pot pie ready for dinner! This is my daughter’s favorite recipe.
Tips for Making Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- This recipe will make one full size chicken pot pie or four to six mini pot pies.
- You can use your own homemade pie crust recipe or you can use store-bought pre-made pie crust.
- I have made this recipe using homemade pie crust and store-bought.
Type of Chicken to use for this Recipe:
- This recipe calls for precooked chicken.
- I like to use my easy recipe for shredded chicken when I’m making this recipe for chicken pot pie.
- You can also use a rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken.
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Hasselback Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Basil
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Cutlets Italian Style
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 638mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.