Looking for a delicious and easy-to-make salad dressing recipe? Try this Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe! With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a tasty dressing that will take your salads to the next level.
Made with simple ingredients like olive oil, vinegar, and spices, it's perfect for topping off your favorite salad or veggie dish. You can even use it as a marinade for chicken the next time you're grilling.
Adding a salad is always a great addition to our Weekly Meal Plan.
A salad is only as good as its dressing, so it is important to choose carefully. When it comes to choosing, there are many different options and flavors. And, of course, some dressings are better than others.
Homemade salad dressing is one of the best options because it is simple to make and can be customized to your own taste.
Which is why I love making this recipe and keeping it stored in the refrigerator in a mason jar. It's easy to reach for to add on top of a simple side salad or to use as a marinade for chicken.
Table of Contents
Ingredients in Italian Dressing
Homemade Italian salad dressing is a popular recipe only requires a few ingredients. The most important ingredient in the dressing is olive oil, which gives it its distinctive flavor.
In addition, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper are added to taste. Some recipes also call for dried herbs, such as oregano or basil.
Although it is possible to buy Italian salad dressing at the store, many people prefer to make their own because it is cheaper and easier to control the ingredients. Homemade dressing also has a fresher taste than store-bought varieties.
How to make Italian Salad Dressing from Scratch
There's no need to buy expensive Italian salad dressing at the store when you can easily make your own at home. This homemade salad dressing recipe is simple and only requires a few ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
Most homemade salad dressing recipes have you combine olive oil and vinegar together in a jar or container with a tight-fitting lid, and then add the spices. Shake the mixture well until it is combined.
Homemade Italian salad dressing is quick and easy to make, and it tastes so much better than store-bought dressings. Plus, you can customize the recipe to your liking by adding more or less of any of the ingredients.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
Step 1 | Combine the Spices
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl and blend.
- Add the spices to a mason jar.
Step 2 | Add the Oil and Vinegar
- Add the oil, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Cover with the lid and shake well.
- The best way to use this homemade Italian dressing recipe is on top of a plate of fresh salad greens.
- I grow lettuce in our garden every year and picked enough for a light lunch after making this recipe.
- A side salad served with hard boiled egg and turkey. Now doesn't that look delicious? All I need to do is drizzle a little of the salad dressing on top.
Homemade Italian salad dressing is a versatile and flavorful addition to any meal. But how do you store it so it stays fresh and delicious? Here are a few tips:
- Keep it in a cool, dark place. A refridgerator is ideal, but a pantry will do in a pinch.
- Make sure the container is airtight. This will keep the dressing from going bad too quickly.
- Use it within a week or two for optimal flavor. After that, it'll still be edible, but the taste may suffer.
When you're ready to use the dressing, give it a good shake or stir to recombine the ingredients.
- Change the type of vinegar used. Try a red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Balsamic vinegar would be great as well.
- For a sweeter tasting salad dressing, add a teaspoon or two of honey.
- Add a teaspoon or two of Dijon or whole grain mustard.
- For a creamier dressing, you can add in some mayonnaise or yogurt.
Make it a Meal
- This dressing is perfect for tossed salads, vegetable dips, and more. It's also a great way to add some extra flavor to your favorite recipes.
- The next time you're getting ready to grill chicken, brush the chicken with a little of this homemade dressing.
- This dressing also works great brushed on vegetables before grilling.
- Check out my other recipe for 30 Minute Caprese Chicken which would be the perfect side dish for salad with this Homemade Italian Dressing recipe.
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
- 1 ½ cups olive oil
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine all the spices in small bowl and blend.
- Add the spices to a large mason jar.
- Add the oil, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Cover with the lid.
- Shake well.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons to a single serving of salad.
- Store in the refrigerator.
You may store it in an air-tight container as well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2017 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!