If you're looking for a new and exciting way to make your favorite summer dish, check out this recipe for air fryer chicken skewers.
Chicken kabobs are a versatile dish that can be served as an appetizer, main course, or even a snack. With just a few ingredients and a simple cooking method, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal on the table in no time.
Looking for more easy dinner recipes? Try all the air fryer recipes available here on Walking on Sunshine Recipes.
If you're like me, chicken skewers or chicken kabobs are a summertime staple. They're easy to make, and you can pack them full of delicious flavors. But if you're looking for a way to take your skewered chicken to the next level, try baking them in an air fryer.
Air frying your chicken will give it a crispy outer crust while keeping it moist and tender on the inside. They're also very easy to make, and you can pack them full of delicious flavors.
Table of Contents
How do you cut chicken for skewers?
Before you start cooking, you'll need to know how to properly cut chicken for skewers. If you cut the chicken into strips and it's too thin, they might fall off the stick while cooking. However, if you cut them too thick, they will take much longer to cook than the vegetables.
- First, remove the skin and any visible fat from the chicken. Then, cut the meat into even cubes, about one-inch in size. If your chicken is particularly thick, you may want to cut it into smaller pieces so that it cooks through evenly.
- Once your chicken is cut, thread it onto skewers with your favorite vegetables. Follow the directions below for proper air fryer.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Cooking Tip: It's very important that you soak the bamboo skewers in water before assembling the kabobs and placing them in the air fryer.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
Step 1 | Combine the Ingredients
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oil, yogurt, garlic and spices to create the marinade.
- Toss the vegetables and chicken in the marinade.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes if you have the time.
Step 2 | Cooking Instructions
- Place the chicken and vegetables on the bamboo skewers.
- Add them to the air fryer and cook at 400°F for 8 minutes. Flip the skewers and continue to cook for another 7 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
What do you serve with chicken skewers?
Chicken skewers are a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of sides. For a light meal, try pairing them with a salad tosssed with Homemade Italian Salad Dressing.
If you're looking for something heartier, chicken skewers go well with rice or pasta salad. You can also get creative with your sides and serve them with grilled fruit, or even a creamy dipping sauce.
You can also make a dipping sauce using extra Greek yogurt and the same spices for the marinade.
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
You can can change this recipe by simply choosing different vegetables. Sturdy veggies are usually the best as some vegetables just don't like being on a skewer and will fall off right away making things a mess in the air fryer.
- Cherry Tomatoes - grape tomatoes would be too small.
- Peppers - an assortment of colors make for a beautiful kabob. Remember, we eat with our eyes first.
- Zucchini - as well as yellow squash.
- Eggplant - peeled and cut into chunks.
Chicken skewers are one of my favorite summertime meals. They're healthy, they're easy to cook, and they're delicious. But what do you do with the leftovers? Here's how to store them so they'll stay fresh and tasty.
- First, let the chicken and veggies cool completely. Then, transfer them to an airtight container or plastic bag. If you're using wooden skewers, make sure to remove them before storing the chicken.
- Chicken skewers will keep in the fridge for up to three days.
Chicken Reheating Tips
When you're ready to enjoy your leftovers, simply reheat them in the air fryer or in a skillet.
- 2 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces
- 2 bell peppers cut into 1" pieces
- ½ red onion, cut into 1" pieces
- 4 ounces whole mushrooms cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oil, yogurt, garlic and spices to create a marinade.
- Toss the onions, peppers, mushrooms in the marinade.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut the skewers to fit the inside of your air fryer basket. Soak the skewers in water while the chicken and vegetables marinade.
- Place the chicken and vegetables on the skewers.
- Place the skewers in the air fryer basket and cook at 400°F for 8 minutes.
- Flip the skewers and continue cooking for an additional 7 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F. Use a digital meat thermometer.
You can easily make a dipping sauce using Greek yogurt, the same amount of spices and garlic. Do not add any of the oil to the dipping sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.