Grilled Chicken Kabobs marinaded in a delicious sweet and tangy sauce served with beautiful grilled summer vegetables and pineapple chunks. Another easy family favorite chicken dinner that's perfect on a hot summer night. Light up the grill and get ready, we're having barbecue for dinner tonight!
I love to marinade the chicken early in the morning and then put everything together just before heading out to the grill. My family loves this recipe for Grilled Chicken Kabobs and I think yours will too.
This recipe works great if you're having guests over for a backyard party or summer barbecue. Another recipe that's great for summer parties is my Grilled Chicken Sandwiches or Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs.
You're going to love the marinade recipe also. The pineapple juice adds a sweetness that tastes amazing. It's so good that I like to double the marinade recipe and set it aside to drizzle on top of the cooked chicken kabobs.
Best Vegetables for Chicken Kabobs?
Sturdy veggies are usually the best vegetables for chicken kabobs. Some vegetables just don't like being on a skewer and will fall off right away making things a mess on the grill.
- Cherry Tomatoes - grape tomatoes would be too small.
- Peppers - an assortment of colors make for a beautiful kabob. Remember, we eat with our eyes first.
- Zucchini - as well as yellow squash.
- Eggplant - peeled and cut into chunks.
- Onions - make sure you cut the onions into chunks.
- Mushrooms - again, go for the bigger sized mushrooms and leave them whole. Larger button mushrooms would be delicious.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.
Cooking Tip: It's very important that you soak the bamboo skewers in water for about 30 minutes before assembling the kabobs and placing them on the grill.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Pineapple Juice - you'll need a 6 ounce can or about ¾ cup.
- Cilantro - if you don't like cilantro, you can substitute parsley.
- Minced red onion
- Teriyaki sauce
- Olive oil
- Brown sugar
- Chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Chopped vegetables; green and red peppers red onions, pineapple chunks, etc.
Step 1: Prepare and Marinade the Chicken
- Combine the first nine ingredients above together in a plastic container. This is the marinade.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and place inside the plastic container with the marinade.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Step 2: Prepare the Veggies
Choose your favorite assortment of vegetables and cut them into chunks. I chose to use red peppers, green peppers and red onion.
Step 3: Add the Pineapple Chunks
Now, this is something you don't always find on grilled chicken kabobs, but since the marinade has pineapple juice I decided to add canned pineapple chunks to the skewers.
Step 4: Assemble Chicken Kabobs
Start adding the chicken, pineapple chunks and vegetables in an alternating pattern. Place on a baking tray that's been lined with aluminum foil.
Step 5: Grilling Instructions
Place the kabobs on a preheated 375° grill and cook about 5 to 7 minutes each side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degree. Make sure you rotate the kabobs a few times while grilling so every piece of chicken and vegetable has grill marks.
Frequently Asked Recipe Questions
Try to have the chicken and the vegetables all the same size so everything cooks evenly.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes:
- Hasselback Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Basil
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Cutlets Italian Style
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
For the Marinade:
- ¾ cup pineapple juice; 6 ounce can
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ⅓ cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Kabobs:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts; cut into chunks
- About 4 cups assorted vegetables; green,, red peppers red onions,
- Canned pineapple chunks; 8 ounce size can
- Place the cut up chicken into a container with a lid. Set aside while you prepare the marinade.
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade together in a small bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken, cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes to one hour in the refrigerator.
- Soak the wooden bamboo skewers for at least 30 minutes while the chicken marinades.
- Assemble the kabobs by adding the chicken pieces, pineapple chunks and vegetables to the bamboo skewers.
- Place the skewers on a preheated outdoor grill and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the skewers before serving.
You can marinade the chicken for up to 8 hours if you have the time. The longer you leave the chicken in the marinade, the stronger the flavors become.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 1099mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 10gSugar: 39gProtein: 27g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2017 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!