Grilled chicken skewers with homemade basil pesto drizzled on top. Served these Chicken Pesto Kabobs with homemade flatbread, lettuce and tomato. This is one meal you're going to want to serve over and over again this summer or maybe all year long.
Let me show you how easy dinner can be with another chicken cutlet recipe.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2014 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!
Now that the warmer months are here, it seems only natural to be looking for grilled chicken recipes. I don't know about you, but at the end of a long day of work, the last thing I want to do is stand over a hot stove cooking dinner.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Bottled or homemade basil pesto sauce
- Homemade Flatbread Recipe for serving
- Lettuce, tomato and fresh lime slices for serving
Prep-Ahead Tip: You can do this step early in the morning before you leave for work and keep covered in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
- Place the chicken on a cutting board that's been covered with a piece of parchment paper. Then slice the chicken into cubes.
Cooking Tip: Make sure you soak the wooden skewers for 30 minutes before placing the chicken on them and cooking them over an open fire. Or use metal skewers to avoid this step.
Step 2: Prepare the Wooden Skewers
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Thread chicken on to the wooden skewers. Brush the chicken pieces lightly with a little vegetable oil.
- Place the chicken skewers on the grill and close the grill lid. Allow the chicken to cook for about 7 minutes.
- Then carefully flip the chicken skewers. Allow the chicken to cook for an additional seven minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°, test with a digital meat thermometer.
Step 3: Serving Tips
- Place the chicken skewers on a serving platter, drizzle with the fresh basil pesto sauce and serve with tomatoes, lettuce and fresh lime slices.
- We love to take the chicken off the skewers and eat wrapped in warm homemade flatbread.
- The perfect side dish might be this summer pesto pasta salad.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
What should I serve with chicken kabobs?
Chicken Pesto Kabobs are perfect to serve just like this. Especially on a hot summer night. But for some family members, you might need an additional side dish or two.
You could definitely grill vegetables along with the chicken, however, I would add them separately to their own skewers. Chicken and vegetables cook at different times.
Check out my list of Side Dishes for Chicken Cutlet Recipes. I know you'll find something easy and delicious to prepare to go with Chicken Pesto Kabobs from the list.
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTION
Depending on what you add to the chicken kebabs, they can be a very option for dinner.
Ready for more great chicken recipes?
- Baked Chicken Cutlet Recipes - a great collection of recipes that are perfect for dinner any night of the week!
- Chicken Cutlet Parmesan with Spaghetti - crispy, oven baked chicken with marinara sauce and two different cheeses. This sheet pan recipe is ready in 30 minutes making it another favorite chicken cutlet recipe. Serve this recipe with lightly buttered spaghetti and a side salad.
- Stuffed Chicken Cutlets – pounded thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts rolled up with a savory bread stuffing. Then cooked in a delicious gravy till tender.
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- ½ cup
- Homemade Flatbread Recipe; for serving
- Lettuce, tomato and fresh lime slices; for serving
Place the chicken on a cutting board that's been covered with a piece of parchment paper. Then slice the chicken into cubes.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Thread chicken on to the wooden skewers. Brush the chicken pieces lightly with a little vegetable oil.
Place the chicken skewers on the grill and close the grill lid. Allow the chicken to cook for about 7 minutes.
Then carefully flip the chicken skewers. Allow the chicken to cook for an additional seven minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°, test with a digital meat thermometer.
To serve, place the chicken kabobs on a plate and drizzle with Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce.
Serve on top of Homemade Flatbread with lettuce, tomatoes and fresh lime slices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 74g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.