Fresh blueberries and raspberries combined with sugar, cinnamon and a little lemon juice are the start of this Berry Dump Cake recipe. The fresh berries add a delicious tartness to the sweetened vanilla cake mix making this a delicious dessert perfect to serve for any occastion.
You will be able to whip this easy dessert up in no time!
Unlike my other dump cake recipes that all use canned fruit, this recipe begins with fresh berries. I used fresh blueberries and raspberries. But really any combination of fresh berries will work.
It's really up to you and what fruit you enjoy. You'll be in heaven when you take your first bite!
Table of Contents
What is a Dump Cake?
A dump cake is very similar to a fruit cobbler, but doesn't have the biscuit batter topping.
To prepare a dump cake, you do just like the title says and dump the fruit into a baking dish and then top it off with the cake mix. The best news is, you can use any canned fruit you like!
When combined, the cake mix and butter create a batter and begin to bake together to give you the crunchy buttery topping.
Make sure you check out my Cake Mix Baking Secrets and Printable for more great cake mix ideas.
Fresh Fruit Dump Cake
Most of the dump cake recipes here on the blog use canned fruit. However, I wanted to try a dump cake recipe made with fresh berries..
You could substitute mixed frozen berries as well, which is good during the colder winter months and you maybe don't have access to fresh fruit.
This recipe is perfect when you need a quick, last minute dessert. It only requires a few ingredients which are pantry staples. It's easy to prepare when you need an emergency dessert for unexpected company or you're craving a sweet dessert.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
Baking Tip: This is a dump cake recipe. There is no stirring required! In fact, the recipe will not work if you stir the layers.
Step 1 | Combine the Fresh Berries
- In a medium bowl, combine the fresh blueberries and raspberries together with the lemon juice, granulated sugar and lemon juice.
Step 2 | Add the Cake Mix and Butter
- Layer the cake mix over the top of the berry mixture.
- Then place the slices of butter on top.
Step 3 | Baking Instructions
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 - 50 minutes.
How do you know when Dump Cake is Done?
You'll the cake is done when the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly.
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
- t’s best to serve this dessert warm from the oven.
- If you can’t serve it warm from the oven, this cake also heats up nicely in the microwave.
- Besides enjoying this dump cake as is, everything tastes better topped with fresh whipped cream or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- You can use frozen berries as well. Or choose any other berry combination you'd like.
- Add a can of crushed pineapple to the berry mixture. Pineapple combines well with fresh blueberries.
- You can add shredded coconut as well to the berry mixture.
- Add crushed pecans or walnuts to the top of the butter for added crunch.
- Check out this recipe for Easy Caramel Peach Cake.
- Store the dump cake in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To defrost the frozen dump cake, place it in the refrigerator and then reheat in the microwave for a minute or until it is warmed through.
Yes, you can make a dump cake the night before you plan on serving it. Unless you want to serve it warm. You can always reheat the dessert in the microwave or in the oven until warmed through before serving.
A dump cake can sit out on the kitchen counter after it has baked for at least a few hours before serving. After you have served the dessert, anty leftovers should be covered and refrigerated.
- 2 - 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 - 3 cups fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix; 15.25 ounce size
- ½ cup cold butter; cut into small cubes
- Whipped topping or homemade whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the raspberries, bluerries, granulated sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Pour into a 9X13 baking pan that's been sprayed with non-stick baking spray.
- Spread the cake mix evenly over the top of the berriy mixture.
- Top with the slices of butter evenly over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until the top is golden and the fruit is bubbly.
- Serve warm with the whipped topping or homemade whipped cream.
You could also use Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream as a topping!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 6gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.