Cake Mix Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft, delicious and the perfect way to celebrate the arrival of Fall. This recipe comes together fast because they're another one of my cake mix recipe hacks. Grab a box of cake mix and let's start baking!
Recently I posted a recipe for 2 Ingredient Pumpkin Bread that has become insanely popular here on the site. However, someone had "the nerve" to comment that it really didn't have "two" ingredients if I were to include all the ingredients listed on the back of the cake mix box.
You only need 5 ingredients to make these pumpkin cookies with cake mix recipe that are packed with a ton of pumpkin flavor! They're slowly becoming one of my favorite pumpkin dessert recipes for the season.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix
- Canned Pumpkin Puree; not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 egg
- Chocolate Chips - you can use regular size like I did or mini chocolate chips.
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
Baking Tip: If you can't find pumpkin pie spice mix in the grocery store to make these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies cake mix recipe, check out my homemade pumpkin pie spice mix recipe!
This mixture comes together fast and very easily. You don't need to use a mixer at all. Just a wooden spoon. My favorite wooden spoons are bamboo wooden spoons. They don't stain at all and wash perfectly in the dishwasher.
Combine the egg, with the cake mix and pumpkin puree.
Stir in the pumpkin pie spice. It's really okay if you don't want to add this. I just love the added taste of pumpkin pie spice.
Gently fold in the chocolate chips. I used a cup of regular sized semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can definitely substitute mini chocolate chips if you prefer.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Do not under-bake them as the cookies will be gummy. Test the cookies by sticking a toothpick into the center of a cookie and if it comes out clean or with only a few moist crumbs, they are done.
The cookies puff up nicely as they bake. They also don't spread much, but I never like to crowd my baking trays.
Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking tray and then remove to a cooling rack before enjoying with a cup of cold milk!
How to Store Pumpkin Cookies
- Store the pumpkin cake mix cookies in an air-tight container. They should remain fresh for up to one week.
- You can also freeze the cookies by flash freezing them first on a baking tray in the freezer for 30 minutes. Once the cookies are frozen solid, remove them from the tray and place in freezer-safe containers.
- The cookies should stay fresh in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
Ready for more Fall Inspired Recipes:
- Pancake Mix Pumpkin Pancakes
- TWO Ingredient Pumpkin Bread
- Mason Jar Apple Crisp
- Pumpkin Spice Cookie Cups - starts out with a cake mix!
- 1 Box Spice Cake Mix; 15.75 ounce size
- 1 Egg
- 1 - 15 ounce size can Pumpkin Puree; not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, combine together the dry cake mix, egg and pumpkin puree.
- Stir in the pumpkin pie spice followed by the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, place the cookie dough on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool on the pan for a few minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling completely before enjoying.
- Remember, all ovens bake differently. Try not under-bake the cookies.
- Use a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the cookies to make sure it comes out clean or with a few crumbs, then you know the cookies are done.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Depending on the size cookie scoop you use, this recipe should yield 28 to 32 cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 28 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 107Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2019 with new photos and information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!