Easy Homemade Pumpkin Bread - a favorite Fall quick bread that's packed with spices and plenty of pumpkin flavor. Not only is this recipe delicious, but it fills your house with a wonderful aroma while it bakes. Let me show you probably one of my favorite Pumpkin Dessert Recipes to bake for Fall.
This recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Bread produces a quick bread that is perfectly soft and tender. It's hard to enjoy only one slice as evident by the fact that my husband and I devoured this entire loaf in one day.
This recipe is very different from the very popular 2 Ingredient Pumpkin Bread recipe. That recipe starts out with a cake mix and this recipe is completely homemade.
As an added bonus to this recipe, I'm including a set of Printable Recipe Cards for you inside this FREE Pumpkin Desserts Cookbook. Fill out the card with this recipe and then bake up a few loaves to give as gifts to neighbors.
Why is my Quick Bread raw in the middle?
Over the years quick breads have always been a little tricky for me to master. It was usually hit or miss with making sure the center of the bread was cooked all the way through.
Sometimes the bread would look cooked completely only for me to discover the quick bread was raw in the middle.
Well, not any longer! Did you know that a quick bread like this recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Bread is cooked perfectly when it reaches an internal temperature of 195 to 210?
This Digital Meat Thermometer is in my top ten favorite kitchen tools. I seriously use it multiple times a week.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Baking Tip: For this recipe I used canned pumpkin puree which is cooked pumpkin with nothing added. Pumpkin pie filling contains spices, sweetener and a few other ingredients.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice - use my Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe if you don't have this at home or can't find it in the grocery store!
- Pure Pumpkin Puree - not pumpkin pie filling
Step 1: Prepare the Batter
In a large mixing bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Add both the brown and granulated white sugar.
Then add the oil, water, eggs and pumpkin puree. Gently mix everything together until combined. The batter doesn't have to be completely smooth.
Step 2: How to Prepare a Loaf Pan for Quick Bread
If you’ve been a reader of this site for awhile, you know how much I love using parchment paper. In particular, I love these Parchment Baking Cookie Sheets. For awhile now I’ve been using them to line baking trays when I bake bar cookies, brownies or even loaf pans!
They make it extremely easy to remove the baked goods from the baking dish without sticking. I find that using clips or even old clothespins helps to keep the parchment paper in place while you’re filling the loaf pan with the batter.
Step 3: Baking Instructions
Pour the batter into the loaf that's been prepared either with parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray.
Place the loaf pan in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 50 to 55 minutes. You can test the cake to see if it's done by using a digital meat thermometer like I showed you above or by inserting a toothpick into the center of the baked bread.
The homemade pumpkin bread is done when the internal temperature reaches 190 to 210 degrees or the toothpick comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached.
Please remember, that all ovens bake differently so set a timer and start checking after 50 minutes of baking. If you see the top of the bread is becoming too brown, you can loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing and slicing.
Storing and Freezing Quick Bread
Store the leftover bread at room temperature in an air-tight container for 3 days or in the refrigerator for 7 days. Make sure the bread is completely cooled before sealing it in the air-tight container.
You can also freeze the pumpkin bread. Again, allow the bread to cool completely before placing in either a freezer-safe container or a freezer-safe plastic storage bag. You can safely freeze pumpkin bread for about 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and not the counter as it might get mushy.
Frequently Asked Recipe Questions
The bread is most likely not cooked completely. The oven could have been too hot so the outside of the bread cooked faster than the inside. The best thing to do is use an instant read thermometer to test the internal temperature of the bread. When it reaches 190 degrees, the bread is completely cooked.
If you want, you can stir in chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, or chopped pecans to the batter before pouring into the prepared pan.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
Ready for More Pumpkin Recipes?
- My new favorite EASY pumpkin recipe is 2 Ingredient Pumpkin Bread. And another new recipe favorite is Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Have you ever tried to make pumpkin pancakes? This recipe for Pancake Mix Pumpkin Pancakes is a family favorite.
- Cheesecake Parfaits - another recipe made with pumpkin puree!
- You all know I love cake mix recipes and these Pumpkin Spice Cookie Cups are a delicious combination of pumpkin pie and pecan pie all in one little cookie cup.
- Mini Pumpkin Pie Treats
- Pumpkin Bundt Cakes - video too!
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar; packed
- 1 ½ cups pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add both the brown and granulated white sugar.
- Then add the oil, water, eggs and pumpkin puree.
- Gently mix everything together until combined.
- The batter doesn't have to be completely smooth.
- Pour the batter into the loaf that's been prepared either with parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50 t0 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean or with very few crumbs.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing and slicing.
- Store the leftover bread at room temperature in an air-tight container for 3 days or in the refrigerator for 7 days.
- You can test the cake to see if it’s done by using a digital meat thermometer or by inserting a toothpick into the center of the baked bread.
- The homemade pumpkin bread is done when the internal temperature reaches 190 to 210 degrees or the toothpick comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.