Homemade Greek Yogurt - no fancy equipment needed to make an easy recipe using your slow cooker. Easy, delicious and healthier than store-bought. Let me share with you these easy steps to making yogurt at home.
My status the other day on my Walking on Sunshine's Facebook page was the following:
"Making yogurt this morning because having store-bought yogurt for breakfast is no longer an option." And THAT one status, along with THIS picture above, generated a ton of comments and requests.
How to Make Greek Yogurt in a Crock Pot
So, as requested, here is the recipe I used to make homemade yogurt... Ingredients: ½ gallon of WHOLE milk 1 small container of plain yogurt (with live and active cultures) Directions: Place the ½ gallon of whole milk into your crock pot.
Now, remove the lid, unplug the crock pot and let the yogurt COOL down to 110 to 115 degrees. I just left the lid half on/half off. This step took almost 1 and ½ hours
Stir the container of store-purchased PLAIN yogurt into the cooled down milk and mix very well. Please make sure there are live and active cultures in your purchased yogurt. Place the cover back on and wrap 2 heavy towels around your crock pot. Yes, I used a camouflage towel, after all we are an Army family.
Now, the waiting begins! Pretend you do NOT see this on your counter and let the mixture culture overnight or 8 to 12 hours. In the morning when you uncover your crock pot, you will have yogurt.
It will be THIN yogurt because it does not have all the additives and gelatin's which brings us to STEP TWO of waiting, where we drain the yogurt. Line a strainer with cheesecloth and place over a bowl large enough to fit the strainer inside. (Yes, that is the inside of my salad spinner) I also placed the strainer on top of a smaller bowl so that while the yogurt is draining it's not "sitting" in the liquid that will collect in the bowl.
This is all the liquid that drained from the yogurt.
Add some fruit and ENJOY!
Homemade Greek Yogurt - no fancy equipment needed to make an easy recipe using your slow cooker. Easy, delicious and healthier than store-bought. Let me share with you these easy steps to making yogurt at home
Say more about this recipe. Make sure you add links to related posts. Then make sure you go back to those links and add the link to this recipe in them. Interlinking is good!
Now add a Pinterest pin photo.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- add the links here with a bit summary as to why you're using them.
- Then try to add links from Easy Product Display. Add interesting links to Amazon that will give the reader an experience, not just a kitchen tool. Antique measuring cups. Antique mixing bowls, butter dishes, napkins, etc.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- list the ingredients like this. Also, bold the ingredient name.
- Flour - I used all purpose flour for this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips - semi-sweet is perfect for this recipe, but milk chocolate work great too!
- Add a photo of the ingredients. If you don't have a photo of the ingredients, go ahead and use Creative Product Display with links to Amazon for some of the ingredients.
Step 1: now list the "steps" for creating the recipe. These steps are always H3
Add a paragraph
Add a paragraph
Add a paragraph