Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs are cooked and peeled to perfection every single time using this 5-5-5 method. This method is sure to change the way you make a simple hard boiled egg. Make sure you check out my tips on How to use your Instant Pot if this method of cooking is new to you.
Who knew that something as simple as a hard boiled egg could cause such difficulty in the kitchen? When I was first married, I barely knew how to cook a hard boiled egg.
It took a few tries for me to finally get it right but it was a struggle for awhile. I laugh now when I think back on it. Thankfully we now have an easier way and that's making instant pot hard boiled eggs.
Favorite Way to Enjoy Hard Boiled Eggs?
There's no question, that enjoying hard boiled eggs is great for any diet. There are also quite a few recipes that call for hard boiled eggs.
My family loves deviled eggs; especially during the summer months for picnics or family barbecues.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- 6-12 Eggs - eggs cook best in a single layer, so this will depend on the size of your Instant Pot.
- Cold Water
5-5-5 Method for Cooking Eggs
One of the most popular kitchen tools these days is the instant pot. And preparing hard boiled eggs might be one of the most popular recipes to make using one.
The perfect technique for cooking hard boiled eggs:
- Pressure cook - 5 minutes.
- Natural release - 5 minutes.
- Ice water bath - 5 minutes.
Cooking times vary depending on your particular instant pot:
- Medium Hard Boiled Eggs - Cook for 3 minutes
- Hard Boiled Eggs - Cook 4-5 minutes
- Well Done Hard Boiled Eggs - Cook 6-7 minutes
Step 1: Add the Eggs to the Instant Pot
Place rack in the bottom of the instant pot. Add one cup of water. Then add the eggs in a single layer.
Step 2: Cooking Time
Set the time for 5 minutes on manual setting. Cook, then manual release at 5 minutes.
Step 3: Prepare Ice Bath
While the eggs are cooking, prepare an ice bath by adding ice to a large bowl and filling with cold water. Immediately add eggs to the ice bath.
This step is very important! Allow the eggs to cool for the final 5 minutes.
Step 3: How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs
After the eggs cool for 5 minutes in the ice bath you'll be able to peel them. Crack each egg and gently peel away the outer shell.
These will be the easiest eggs you've ever peeled.
Dyeing Easter Eggs
Since it's almost Easter, let's talk dyeing eggs! You can dye or color eggs a few different ways.
- Purchase an Easter Egg Dying Kit.
- Color eggs naturally using vegetables, fruits or spices.
- Use food coloring and water.
Beautiful colored eggs just in time for Easter and they're not only cooked to perfection, but they will peel perfectly too when you hard boil the eggs first in the instant pot.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
I like to store my eggs unpeeled in the refrigerator. They'll be good for 7 days that way. You can also peel them first and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Ready for more great recipes? Try these other Instant Pot Recipes:
- How to Use your Instant Pot - FREE lessons!
- Weekly Meal Plan - 5 Instant Pot Recipes for Dinner
- Cranberry Sauce in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 12 eggs
- Cold water
- Place rack in the bottom of the instant pot. Add one cup of water. Then add the eggs in a single layer.
- Set the time for 5 minutes on manual setting. Cook, then manual release at 5 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, prepare an ice bath by adding ice to a large bowl and filling with cold water.
- Immediately add eggs to the ice bath.
- After the eggs cool for 5 minutes in the ice bath you’ll be able to peel them. Crack each egg and gently peel away the outer shell.
You can adjust the cooking time according to how you like your boiled eggs:
- Medium Hard Boiled Eggs – Cook for 3 minutes
- Hard Boiled Eggs – Cook 4-5 minutes
- Well Done Hard Boiled Eggs – Cook 6-7 minutes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.