Chicken Cutlets with Spinach - pan fried thin chicken cutlets served over warm tomatoes and sauteed spinach. This is another easy Chicken Cutlets Recipe that's perfect to serve over hot buttered noodles or rice. Let me show you how to make the perfect weeknight dinner that's ready in under 30 minutes.
This recipe is made with simple ingredients that you might already have in your pantry. It's another cast iron skillet chicken recipe that's made in one pan so cleanup is easy too.
It took me years to enjoy fresh spinach. I'm not sure why, but it's one of my favorite vegetables now. I use it for my Spinach, Bacon Cheese Frittata and my Chicken Stuffed with Ricotta Cheese and Spinach Recipe.
What pairs well with Chicken Cutlets?
For this recipe I served the chicken with spinach over buttered white rice. I'm a huge fan of simple, plain white rice. The pan juices from the chicken and sauteed spinach tasted great on top of the white rice.
You could also make buttered noodles, or even your favorite pasta. As always, check out my list of Side Dishes for Chicken Cutlets for even more yummy ideas.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
- Lodge cast iron pan - this is the cast iron skillet pan I have and love.
- Digital Meat Thermometer - I always check my meat using this meat thermometer. It works great when I need to check the water temperature for yeast recipes.
- Meat mallet
- Cast Iron Silicone Holder
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Chicken Cutlets – try to make sure the chicken cutlets are very similar in size so the chicken cooks evenly.
- Vegetable Oil
- Butter - you'll need 4 tablespoons total, but we're going to use 2 tablespoons for the chicken and another 2 tablespoons for the spinach.
- Garlic - fresh is best, but if all you have on hand is garlic powder, that will work too.
- Chicken broth - you'll need maybe ½ cup to a full cup. It really depends on how much broth you want the spinach and chicken to cook in. For my recipe, I used a little over ½ a cup.
- Grape tomatoes - the ones I purchased were big, so I sliced them in half.
- Fresh spinach
Cooking Tip: In order to get dinner on the table FAST, you need thin chicken cutlets. Please follow my detailed list of instructions with step-by-step photos listed in my Chicken Cutlet Mayonnaise Recipe.
Step 1: Prep the Chicken
Once the chicken cutlets are pounded thin, season with salt and pepper then dredge them in flour.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat two tablespoons of the butter and the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is golden brown and almost cooked through.
Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside while you cook the spinach.
Step 2: Cook the Spinach
Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Then add the spinach along with the garlic. Cook until the spinach begins to wilt; about 3 minutes.
Then add the grape tomatoes and cook for another minute. Now add the chicken broth and bring to a quick boil. Then add the chicken back to the skillet and simmer until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
Step 3: Serving Tips
Place the spinach and tomatoes on the platter first and then add the chicken cutlets on top. Serve with pasta, buttered noodles or rice on the side.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
A cutlet refers to a thin slice of meat. A chicken cutlet is a thin slice of chicken breast.
Ready for more great recipes? Try these other Thin Chicken Cutlet Recipes:
- Chicken Cutlets Italian Style
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
- Chicken Cutlets in Cast Iron Skillet
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Cutlet Mayonnaise Recipe
- 4 chicken cutlets; pounded thin
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter; divided
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ cup to 1 cup chicken broth
- Season each chicken cutlet with salt and pepper to taste, then dredge each cutlet in the flour.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat two tablespoons of the butter and the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is golden brown and almost cooked through.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter to the cast iron skillet.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Then add the spinach along with the garlic. Cook until the spinach begins to wilt; about 3 minutes.
- Then add the grape tomatoes and cook for another minute. Now add the chicken broth and bring to a quick boil.
- Finally add the chicken back to the skillet and simmer until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
Serve over fresh cooked pasta, rice or buttered noodles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 643mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 38g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.