Healthy Breaded Chicken Cutlets - thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts dredge in buttermilk, a homemade seasoning mix and crushed pork rinds. The end result is crispy, slightly spicy chicken that's very delicious. Let me show you another 30 minute chicken cutlet recipe you might just be making for dinner one night this week.
There's a first time for everything and for me it's creating a recipe using pork rinds.
Serve any leftovers you have the next day for lunch sliced over a bed of tossed greens topped with a drizzle of homemade Italian dressing. The chicken makes a tasty sandwich too!
Are Pork Rinds Healthy?
According to Healthline: "Instead of snacking on them out of the bag, try using them as a crunchy, bacon-like topping on roasted vegetables or a salad. That way, you can enjoy their flavor but keep your calorie and sodium intake to a minimum."
And don't forget, they are carb-free! Making them the perfect Keto-friendly recipe to add to any of our weekly meal plans.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Digital Meat Thermometer - use this to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.
- Meat mallet - before I broke down and purchased one I used the back of a heavy measuring cup. A meat mallet works so much better.
- Parchment Baking Sheets - I love using these sheets for not only baking but to help me prep chicken. Keeps my cutting boards clean from germs.
Cooking Tip: The secret to cooking chicken FAST is to use thin chicken breasts. Check out how I get thin chicken cutlets in the post, How to Make Thin Chicken Cutlets.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Chicken cutlets - sliced and pounded thin
- Buttermilk - see not below if you don't have any in the house. I didn't and used the tip below too!
- Plain pork rinds - crushed.
- Homemade seasoning mix
- Vegetable oil - for frying
- Tabasco sauce - just a shake or two. You can leave this out if you don't like spice.
Cooking Tip: If you don't have buttermilk, simply combine 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Let that sit for about 5 minutes and you have buttermilk!
Step 1: Soak the Chicken
To a medium sized bowl, add the buttermilk and a few shakes of the Tabasco sauce. Add the chicken to the bowl and allow it to soak in the buttermilk while you prepare the seasoning mix.
Step 2: Prepare the Seasoning Mix and Pork Rinds Mixture
In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning mix together. Combine it with the pork rinds.
Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and then dredge them in the crushed pork rinds mixture. Set aside while you heat up the cast iron skillet.
Step 3: Cooking Instructions
Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the chicken cutlets to the hot oil. Allow them to cook in the oil for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
Always check the chicken to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
Step 4: What to Serve with Chicken Cutlets
I served this recipe with with a few of my favorite dipping sauces on the side along with a big tossed salad. You could also choose from our Side Dishes for Chicken Cutlets index a few of your family's favorite side dish recipes.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
There are no carbs in pork rinds and the protein content is much more higher than potato chips.
Ready for more great recipes?
- Chicken Parmesan – my easy recipe for Breaded Chicken Cutlets that are smothered in homemade marinara sauce topped with mozzarella cheese.
- Dipping Sauce for Chicken Cutlets - This is a copycat recipe for Chick Fil A Sauce that’s a really, really good accompaniment to any chicken recipe.
- Chicken Cutlets Parmesan Recipe - my family's favorite breaded chicken cutlets with an easy Parmesan sauce on top.
For the Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; pounded thin
- 2 - 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 - 4 shakes Tabasco Sauce
- 2 cups crushed plain pork rinds
- To a medium sized bowl, add the buttermilk and a few shakes of the Tabasco sauce. Add the chicken to the bowl and allow it to soak in the buttermilk while you prepare the seasoning mix.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning mix together. Combine it with the pork rinds.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and then dredge them in the crushed pork rinds mixture. Set aside while you heat up the cast iron skillet.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the chicken cutlets to the hot oil. Allow them to cook in the oil for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Always check the chicken to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
If you don't have buttermilk, simply combine 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Let that sit for about 5 minutes and you have buttermilk!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1026mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 49g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.