Easy Zucchini Puffs are filled with cheese, grated zucchini and a delicious combination of spices that are a great way to use the bounty of zucchini in your garden or from your neighbor's garden. Let me show you how to make one of the many easy zucchini recipes that's soon to become one of your favorites.
This cute little puffs are light and airy. They're made using flour and baking powder, however, if you wanted to try this recipe using Bisquick Baking Mix, check out my new Bisquick Zucchini Cheddar Muffins Recipe recently published.
You can serve these Zucchini Puffs Recipe as an appetizer for your next family get-together. They also work great as a side dish with any one of the Family Favorite Chicken Recipes here on the site or my favorite grilled steak.
Zucchini Appetizers and Recipes
These zucchini cheese puffs are just one of the few zucchini recipes I have on the site:
- Zucchini Corn Casserole
- Have you ever tried Zucchini Pizza Bites? This is a fun low-calorie way to enjoy the taste of pizza without all the carbs.
- Zucchini Ricotta Mozzarella Galatte
Helpful Kitchen Tools to make this Recipe
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Mini Muffin Pan -Make sure you spray the muffin pan really well before adding the batter. I used my mini muffin pan because that's the size I wanted. You can definitely use a regular sized muffin pan as well.
- Box Grater
- Measuring Cups
Main Ingredients Needed:
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Italian Seasoning; or your favorite seasonings.
- Baking powder
- 1 egg
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: How to Grate Zucchini
Grating zucchini is an easy way to break the vegetable down so it blends in with the flour and cheese better than if you were to simply chop the zucchini.
To begin with, trim off the ends of the zucchini and then run the zucchini up and down the sides of either a box grater or a plank grater until it is completely grated. No matter which kitchen tool you use, be careful as the zucchini gets smaller. You don't want to accidentally cut your fingers.
After you grate the zucchini, you'll need to get rid of the excess water.Wrap the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze the excess water out.
Make sure you're holding the towel over the sink or a large enough bowl to catch all the water. You don't want a mess. If you skip this step, the puffs will be very watery and we don't want watery zucchini puffs!
Step 2: How to Prepare the Batter
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and Italian Seasoning. In another bowl, combine the egg with the milk. Then add to the dry ingredients and combine.
Add the grated zucchini and cheese to the batter and mix to combine. Spoon into mini muffin pans that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. You can also use paper muffin liners.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the center is done.
Baking Tip: If you use paper muffin liners, try spraying them with non-stick baking spray before adding the batter. The paper liners will peel off easily after the puffs have baked.
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
Yes, you can grate or prep the zucchini ahead of time. Keep it in a sealed air-tight container or plastic bag. I like to also add a paper towel to the plastic bag or container to help with any excess moisture from the zucchini. Properly stored, grated zucchini will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 5 days.
I would not substitute Bisquick Baking Mix for the flour in this recipe, however, you can now try my Bisquick Zucchini Cheddar Muffins recipe!
Yes. Once the puffs have baked and cooled completely, place them in a single layer on top of a baking tray. Place the baking tray in the freezer for about an hour to “flash freeze” the puffs. Once frozen, place them in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don’t forget to rate it!
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Zucchini
- After you grate the zucchini, you'll need to get rid of the excess water.
- Wrap the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze the excess water out.
- Make sure you're holding the towel over the sink or a large enough bowl to catch all the water. You don't want a mess.
How to Prepare the Puffs
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and Italian Seasoning.
- In another bowl, combine the egg with the milk. Then add to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Add the shredded zucchini and cheese to the batter and mix to combine.
- Spoon into mini muffin pans that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the center is done.
- Please feel free to add your own favorite seasonings, garlic powder would be nice! I love when people take a recipe and add their own spin on it!
- You can also add salt and pepper to the mixture before spooning into the muffin pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2016 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!