Perfectly seasoned, thin breaded chicken cutlets fried golden brown and served with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy. Dinner doesn't have to be complicated when you start with another easy chicken cutlet recipe. Let me show you how to make Chicken Cutlets with Gravy; that's ready in 30 minutes.
There's something comforting about Family Favorite Chicken Recipes served with mashed potatoes and gravy, right? But who really has time to make a traditional Dutch Oven Roast Chicken Recipe for dinner?
This is why I love adding chicken cutlet recipes to my Weekly Meal Plan. Most recipes are ready in 30 minutes! Because let's be real, most nights a lot of us are struggling to find the time to cook a long, detailed recipe for dinner.
What pairs well with Chicken Cutlets?
I served this recipe with homemade mashed potatoes but you could use white rice or even buttered noodles. All of those would taste really delicious with the homemade gravy.
Or you could choose your favorite from our Side Dishes for Chicken Cutlets index
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
- Digital Meat Thermometer - use this to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.
- Meat mallet - before I broke down and purchased one I used the back of a heavy measuring cup. A meat mallet works so much better.
- Parchment Baking Sheets - I love using these sheets for not only baking but to help me prep chicken. Keeps my cutting boards clean from germs.
Main Ingredients Needed
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
For the Chicken:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Gravy:
- Flour - I used all purpose flour for this recipe.
- Butter - to help us make the roux which will help make the gravy thick.
- Chicken Broth - the liquid used to give the gravy flavor. Sometimes I'll also add a chicken bouillon cube if the flavor is not rich enough.
Cooking Tip: The secret to cooking chicken FAST is to use thin chicken breasts. Check out how I get thin chicken cutlets in the post, How to Make Thin Chicken Cutlets.
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
Dip the chicken cutlets one at a time in the flour, eggs and then into the breadcrumbs. Make sure both sides of the chicken are covered in breadcrumbs. Then place on a baking tray while you get the cast iron skillet ready.
Step 2: Cooking Instructions
Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the chicken cutlets to the hot oil. Allow them to cook in the oil for about 4 minutes on each side; just until they are golden brown, but don't cook all the way through.
Place the cast iron skillet into a preheated 375 degree oven for another 10 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use a Digital Meat Thermometer to make sure it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Step 3: How to make Chicken Gravy from Scratch?
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it to a dish and cover while you prepare the homemade gravy. Do you see the drippings and bits of brown in the cast iron pan?
That's what we're going to use to make the delicious gravy! They'll add tons of flavor too.
In the same cast iron pan, add the butter and allow it to melt. Then add the flour. Cook the flour for a minute or two until slightly browned. Then add the chicken broth and cook until thickened.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
Step 4: Serving Tips
Ideally, the best side dish for this chicken cutlets with gravy recipe is mashed potatoes, but here are a few alternatives if you want something else:
- My children love this easy recipe for Homemade Mac and Cheese as a side dish with chicken cutlets.
- Twice Baked Potatoes is another family favorite!
- Roasted Asparagus or a simple side salad with homemade Italian dressing or ranch dressing.
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
You can use either cornstarch or flour to thicken gravy, however, cornstarch won't clump when it is combined with hot broth. Cornstarch also has twice the thickening power as flour.
Ready for more great recipes?
- Stuffed Chicken Cutlets – pounded thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts rolled up with a savory bread stuffing. Then cooked in a delicious gravy till tender.
- Fried Chicken Cutlets - crispy, tender thin-sliced chicken breasts coated in flour then fried till golden brown.
- 30 Minute Caprese Chicken Recipe - This is a unstuffed caprese chicken recipe that's ready in 30 minutes. Fresh tomato salad and mozzarella cheese on top of breaded chicken cutlets.
For the Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts;
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
For the Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
How to Make the Chicken:
- Slice both chicken breasts down the side lengthwise cutting all the way through until until you have 4 thin chicken cutlets.
- Cover the chicken with a piece of waxed paper and using the back of a mallet, pound them to about ¼ inch thin.
- In three separate shallow bowls, add the flour, beaten eggs and then breadcrumbs.
- Dip each chicken cutlet in the flour, then the beaten eggs and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the chicken cutlets to the hot oil. Allow them to cook in the oil for about 4 minutes on each side; just until they are golden brown, but don't cook all the way through.
- Place the cast iron skillet into a preheated 375 degree oven for another 10 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the baked chicken cutlets from the pan to a serving tray.
How to Prepare the Gravy:
- Add the butter to the pan with the chicken drippings. Allow it to melt.
- Then add the flour. Cook the flour for a minute or two until slightly browned.
- Finally, add the chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- Serve over the cooked chicken cutlets and mashed potatoes.
Use a Digital Meat Thermometer to make sure it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 786mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 29g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.